McMahon meeting with House Democrats over Education Department layoffs

Education Secretary Linda McMahon is having a meeting with House Democrats on Wednesday over their concerns surrounding the layoffs at the Department of Education, which she and President Trump have been vocal about trying to eliminate entirely.

Rep. Mark Takano (Calif.) and at least ten other Democratic members will meet with McMahon at 9:30 a.m. EDT, according to information obtained by NewsNation, after the number of Education Department employees was cut in half from more than 4,000 to a little more than 2,000.

Seventy-five House representatives had asked to discuss the matter with the secretary and how the department will continue to fulfill its congressional obligations.  

Congressional Democrats had previously tried to go the Education Department for a meeting but were not allowed in the building.

President Trump on March 20 signed an executive order to dismantle the Education Department, a move strongly opposed by the Democrats.

The lawmakers plan to hold a press conference soon after the meeting is over.

The meeting comes as several groups have filed lawsuits against the department and Trump administration over the layoffs and the executive order to dismantle the agency.

So far, McMahon has supported all the efforts to downsize and weaken her own department.

“Today’s Executive Order is a history-making action by President Trump to free future generations of American students and forge opportunities for their success. We are sending education back to the states where it so rightly belongs,” McMahon said at the time.

Judge refuses Trump admin's request to move Mahmoud Khalil case to Louisiana 

A New Jersey-based federal judge on Tuesday declined the Trump administration’s request to transfer pro-Palestinian activist Mahmoud Khalil’s immigration detention challenge to Louisiana, where is he is being held. 

U.S. District Judge Michael Farbiarz ruled he has jurisdiction over Khalil’s case because the Columbia University graduate and legal permanent resident was detained in New Jersey when his lawyer filed the challenge. 

“The case as filed can go forward only here. The other 93 districts, where the Petitioner was nowhere to be found, are out of the question,” Farbiarz, an appointee of former President Biden, wrote in his 67-page ruling.

Immigration authorities arrested Khalil, a student negotiator in the recent pro-Palestinian demonstrations at Columbia, last month. The Trump administration seeks to revoke his green card over accusations he is “pro-Hamas” and engaged in “pro-terrorist,” antisemitic activity.

Khalil’s case has gained national attention as the administration cites a rarely used immigration law provision that makes someone deportable if the secretary of State determines their continued presence poses serious adverse foreign policy consequences. The administration has since begun using the provision for other students, too.

Just before 5 a.m. EDT on March 9, Khalil’s legal team challenged his detention in New York by filing a federal habeas petition. A judge quickly blocked officials from deporting Khalil but later transferred the case to New Jersey after finding that’s where he was detained when the petition was filed. 

The Trump administration has moved Khalil to Louisiana and has since sought to transfer his legal challenge there. Such a trajectory would route any appeals through the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, regarded as the most conservative federal appeals court in the country. 

“This Court’s jurisdiction is not undone because the Petitioner is no longer in New Jersey,” Farbiarz wrote in his ruling, rejecting the request. 

The judge noted that such decisions are normally unappealable, but he suggested the unusual nature of the case may merit an exception in this case. He asked the parties to submit their views in writing on the issue.

Noor Abdalla, Khalil’s wife and a U.S. citizen, in a statement said she is “relieved” by the decision and called it an “important step” toward securing her husband’s freedom.

“What happened to Mahmoud is a violation of his rights as a lawful permanent resident of this country. ICE agents ripped him from our home and took him across state lines to Louisiana, violating his rights and holding him as a political prisoner. He is being illegally held by the Trump administration, over a thousand miles away, simply because he advocated against Israel’s genocide in Gaza,” Abdalla said.

—Updated at 6:17 p.m. EDT

Ohio school district reverts to birth names, catching students, parents off guard

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – Students at Columbus City Schools with preferred names in the district’s system have had their names reverted back to the one listed on their birth certificates, including transgender and nonbinary students, who were not notified that this was happening.

Students and teachers were caught off guard on March 19 when attendance was called and they realized preferred names were changed in the district’s system, which is called Infinite Campus.

“He found out about the rescinded name change policy at school,” said a parent with a transgender son. “His fourth-period teacher advised him to go to the office because his preferred name was not listed in Infinite Campus. My son started to go to the office and in a panic ran to the bathroom to call me at work.”

Izetta Thomas, the lead organizer with the Columbus Education Justice Coalition, said she has been talking to parents and students since the day of the change.

“To have that happen on such a grand scale and to not even see it coming, I don’t think that there are any words to describe the feelings that folks had when that happened,” she said.

Thomas added, “Those names that were in the system were actually there with parent consent and permission because there was a form that parents had to fill out for that change to even be in the system at all.”

She also said she feels uncomfortable sending her son back to class.

“My son has not physically been back to school since March 19,” the parent said. “For his safety, we unenrolled from his previous school. Now, his educational opportunities have been taken from him.”

Columbus Schools Superintendent Angela Chapman sent out a letter to students, parents and staff on Friday acknowledging that no warning was given. In the letter, Chapman said in part, “We did not provide prior notice this was occurring, nor did we ensure support was in place to prioritize the emotional well-being of everyone impacted.”

Chapman also apologized for how the district handled this situation.

The letter cited recent Ohio laws — including a school bathroom bill and the Parents’ Bill of Rights — as reasons for the change, but Thomas said that none of those laws require school districts to revert trans students’ names.

“A lot of the information that we’ve been getting from folks at the district is that it was anticipatory,” Thomas said. “An apology is not enough. An apology is not accountability, and that’s what we’re looking for, is accountability.”

The parent did say Chapman called them personally to apologize, but they said she offered little in the way of a solution.

Thomas said a number of people from the Columbus Education Justice Coalition planned to be at the next Columbus Board of Education meeting to show their support for impacted students and families.

Trump administration suspends multiple Princeton research grants

The Trump administration has suspended multiple research grants with Princeton University, according to the school’s president. 

President Christopher Eisgruber sent a message to the university community Tuesday that said several dozen contracts between the school and the Department of Energy, NASA and the Defense Department have been suspended.

“The full rationale for this action is not yet clear, but I want to be clear about the principles that will guide our response,” Eisgruber said.  

“Princeton University will comply with the law. We are committed to fighting antisemitism and all forms of discrimination, and we will cooperate with the government in combating antisemitism. Princeton will also vigorously defend academic freedom and the due process rights of this University,” he added.  

It is not clear how much money Princeton is losing with the canceled contracts. The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.  

Princeton, along with dozens of under schools, is under investigation for alleged antisemitism on campus.  

It is the second university to receive funding cuts, with the first happening at Columbia University for alleged inaction on antisemitism.  

Columbia’s funding pause amounted to $400 million and is still not restored even after the university agreed to the federal government’s terms such as strengthening its disciplinary policies.

Eisgruber wrote an op-ed for The Atlantic chastising the Trump administration for its treatment of Columbia back in March. 

Higher education officials and advocates will be watching closely to see if Princeton follows Columbia’s lead of capitulating to the government or trying to fight the cuts.  

The Princeton move comes after the federal antisemitism taskforce said it was reviewing billions of dollars in contracts with Harvard University.  

Susan Collins says Maine law on trans athletes against 'spirit and intent of Title IX'

Sen. Susan Collins (Maine), a prominent Senate Republican moderate, says President Trump is right to scrutinize her state’s law that “allows biological males to play in girls’ sports,” calling the law contrary to the “spirit and intent” of Title IX, which prohibits sex-based discrimination at schools.

“I believe that the State of Maine is under scrutiny because of the state law that allows biological males to play in girls’ sports. And that is contrary, not just to the President’s executive order, but what I believe is the very spirit and intent of Title IX, which was to provide sports and other athletic activities to girls in a safe and fair way,” Collins said in a Monday statement.

The Trump administration launched an investigation after school officials in Maine said they would not comply with his executive order to bar transgender women and girls from participating in women’s sports.

Collins said it is “critically important to treat people who are transgender with respect and dignity” but she argued that the state must still comply with Title IX.

She said the need to treat transgender students respectfully “does not change the fact that Title IX, which passed in 1972, has greatly expanded opportunities for girls and young women to participate in organized sports at the high school and college levels.”

She said the landmark law did so by “mandating equal access to athletic resources and facilities on the basis of sex — not on the basis of gender identity.”

“Safe and fair athletic competition has been one of the keys to the success of Title IX. That is why I do not believe that transgender athletes should compete in girls’ and women’s athletics,” Collins said. “That is why I do not believe that transgender athletes should compete in girls’ and women’s athletics.”

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has claimed Maine’s Department of Education and its schools are violating Title IX by allowing transgender athletes to compete against girls.

The Trump administration is also investigating whether Maine schools broke the law by withholding information about gender-transitioning students from parents.

Trump signed an executive order in early February to “rescind all funds from educational programs that deprive women and girls of fair athletic opportunities.” It also made it the policy of the United States to “oppose male competitive participation in women’s sports more broadly, as a matter of safety, fairness, dignity and truth.”

Later that month, Trump and Maine Gov. Janet Mills (D) publicly clashed at the White House over the issue.

“I’m complying with state and federal law,” Mills told the president after he asked if she would comply with his executive order.  

“We are the federal law. You better do it, because you’re not going to get federal funding,” Trump said.  

“See you in court,” Mills responded.  

On March 11, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced it was temporarily pausing funding to the University of Maine system “while USDA evaluates if it should take any follow-on actions related to prospective Title VI or Title IX violations.”

“I will continue to advocate for Maine to receive its fair share of federal funding, something I have done successfully so far, but I support the original intent behind Title IX,” Collins said in her statement.

The senator is a top Democratic target in the 2026 midterm election as she is the only Senate Republican running for reelection in a state that former Vice President Kamala Harris won in November.

Collins won reelection in 2020 despite Democrats pouring tens of millions of dollars into Maine to defeat her. She won by nearly 10 percentage points that year, despite former President Biden also winning the state.

—Updated at 2:15 p.m. EDT